Please have the following items before coming to first lesson:
- Practice Log
- Heavy metal practice mute (about $10-15) for in-room practicing
- Working metronome that fits in your case (I recommend the Korg MA-30-the blue one)
- Extra set of strings (and two E strings if poss.)
- Peg dope (made by Hill and Sons)
- Full cake of rosin (doesn’t have to be new, just not in more than one piece…)
- Foldable music stand
- Bring all the sheet music you possibly can to the first lesson
- Make an inventory of all the pieces you’ve played
- Finally, a good music dictionary for looking up terms is always a good idea.
- Something else that I’ve seen the need for is an extra fine tuner for the A-string. I have one, and it has saved me more than once on stage, so please invest in one, and I can put it on in lesson if need be.
Recommended Violin Resources:
- Johnson Strings is a really good place to go for fast service and reasonable prices: www.johnsonstring.com
- Also good are Shar Music (www.sharmusic.com), Southwest Strings (www.swstring.com) and The Music Stand (www.themusicstand.com)